8 Consecutive MONDAYS
(January 26th – March 16th)
• Class Description:
MBSR is about taking control of our lives, being aware of influences that affect our health and wellbeing, and finding peace-of-mind and returning to balance with the throes of an often times chaotic world. Developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, MBSR is taught in medical centers around the world. MBSR will teach you to consciously and methodically deal with stress, pain, illness, and the demanding challenges of everyday life. Research is proving that we can learn to use our own innate resources to:
• Cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations
• Increase our ability to relax and rejuvenate
• Decrease physical and psychological symptoms from illness
• Reduce pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope and deal with chronic pain
Participants will learn skills in mindfulness meditation and how to build upon personal strengths in order to respond more effectively to health challenges and offset the adverse effects of stress. The MBSR will help participants cope and live more fully with a wide variety of challenges, and to be present to all of life, including its joys.
The cost of the entire program is $225.00 per person; our class is limited to 12 participants. We meet on 8 consecutive Mondays and have 1 Saturday retreat day.
The program cost includes:
• Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
• Individual reflection, small/large group dialogues
• Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
• Daily assigned practices or “homework”
• Individual, tailored instruction as needed or requested
• CDs and workbook
• Teacher Bios:
Lura Shopteau is a trained psychotherapist and studied with Jon Kabat Zinn to teach the MBSR program in 2001 and 2005. She has taught the program in private practice and through the center for Spirituality and Healing at the U of MN Medical school and worked at Penn State in the application of mindfulness practices to create healthy family systems.
• Language class is taught in: English
Location and Contact
From the main road #34 take the paved road toward the official Ballena National Park entrance in Bahia, turn right the beach road at the 4 corners (hotel -La Fiore de Bahia) toward Flutterby, 100 meters from the intersection on your left is Bienestar.