This retreat is about making that connection between FOOD, NATURE, and OURSELVES
Not only making that connection, but really feeling it and experiencing it through fun, permaculture experiences, culinary experiences, breathing the fresh jungle air and gettin’ yo hands dirty!! I have designed an adventure for you that you will never forget. We will explore from Playa Hermosa on the coast, up the mountain to a hippie permaculture ex-commune in the jungle and so much in between. Our home base will be a beautiful ecolodge, Cascada Elysiana, on the boarder of the Puntarenas province, just 25 minutes from Dominical beach.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
YOGA: daily yoga and meditation with a local, costa rican yoga teacher (english speaking)
FOOD: the meals at the eco lodge are buffet style, super fresh, delicious, local, vegetarian with vegan and gluten free options. Some of the meals will have chicken or fish as an option if local choices are available. If you have any dietary concerns, please write to me!! (my contact at the bottom)
WATERFALL: there is a waterfall on the ecolodge’s property that is so breathtaking. Pictures really can’t do it justice, so you will just have to come see it for yourself 😉
PERMACULTURE: you will get a tour of Cascada Elysiana’s property from their organic gardener. We will also spend a day with permaculture expert, Travis, from Fuente Verde (a totally magical place that used to be an old hippy commune, now a series of private properties, gardens, businesses and homes). Travis will take us on a journey he likes to call farm-to-table-to-farm where you will get to harvest, eat, and plant foods that you may have never tried before!
MEDICINAL HERBS: Don Aida, a wise costa rican woman who grows medicinal herbs and owns a farm ot table restaurant, will give us a tour of her precious garden. She also will serve us a fine dining 4 course dinner where each course is made using only what is from her garden, including medicinal herbs. There is a special surprise at this dinner as well!
CHOCOLATE: cacao trees grow very well in costa rica. We could not bring you here without showing you a cacao farm and how the locals make chocolate. oh yum.
ETHNOBOTANY: we will do a tour of a local eco project with an ethnobotanist (traditional, cultural botany) and then stay to enjoy the community fire event that they hold each week. so awesome.
CEREMONY: a medicinal cacao cerimony led by magical cacao grower, Noa. This ceremony will have you looking within and feling the groove
FARMER’S MARKET: we will visit the local farmer’s market which is also a hippie hangout for locals and expats. Here you can enjoy so much amazing food, as well as massages, energy therapy, jewellery shopping and simply meeting so really awesome people.
ECO LODGE: our home base will be at Cascada Elysiana ecolodge. This 38 acre property is full of beautiful nature, growing food, hand-built accommodation and structures, hiking trails, and beautiful scenery including a waterfall that will take your breath away.
ANIMALS: we are in nature. You will see the animals who hang out around the lodge and surrounding area: tucans, monkeys, hummingbirds, butterflies, sloths (near the beach), and much more.
BEACH: we will be getting some beach time in, dont’ worry! as well as giving you some free time to get more sand between your toes if you choose
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
ACCOMMODATION: there are 4 accommodation options;
Shared Bunkhouse – with shared outdoor showers and toilets
A Bedroom in Mango House – this cabina is just 2 bedrooms, you would get 1, with with shared outdoor showers and toilets
Glamping Tents – big bedroom-sized tents on nice wooden platforms with your own sink. shared outdoor showers and toilets
Cabinas – the cabinas are build by hand using wood and bamboo. totally unique and cozy. the cabins each have their own washroom and shower
**none of the accommodations have a/c, but they all have fans. it is a real eco lodge**
FOOD: all meals are included except for 1 meal at the farmer’s market because I want everyone to just have fun choosing whatever they want to try. The included meals are mostly at the ecolodge. We also have a few lunches and dinners out to some truly amazing places. Alcoholic beverages are not included, but are available to purchase if you choose.
ACTIVITIES: unlike all inclusive resorts, we have included all the amazing activities listed above and more!
TRANSPORTATION: all transportation is included once you get to Dominical (this is where the airport shuttle drops you off)
**Flight and Airport Shuttle to Dominical are NOT included**
We will arrange to pick you up in Dominical to bring you to the eco lodge. The same for on the way back; we will arrange your transportation to Dominical after the retreat.
INTERNET: yes, we have wifi, should you choose to use it
TIMING: The retreat starts at 7pm for dinner on Sunday February 2nd, this will be followed by a little intro and a meditation to welcome everyone. Then we have a full week of events which you will get a schedule for. There is some built in downtime for you to relax and enjoy the eco lodge. The retreat ends on Sunday February 9th. Yoga and breakfast are included on the last day, then we transport you to Dominical where the airport shuttles leave from (shuttles leave at various times depending on the company).
WHAT TO BRING: It will be Costa Rica’s dry season, meaning hot, sunny and no rain. No mosquitos. You are welcome.
– clothing for hot weather (bathing suits, sunglasses, hat, etc). It does not get much cooler in the evenings so no need for long sleeve shirts (bring 1 if any), but you do have blankets incase it gets cool overnight.
– good shoes and sandals. Most of the terrain with be natural, uneven ground.
– flashlight and/or head lamp. I prefer having a headlamp, but it’s not totally necessary. I would definitely bring a flashlight separate from the one on your cell phone.
– a backpack type luggage is better than a rolling suitcase for the ecolodge because there are not really any smooth surfaces to roll the suitcase on. However, if you bring a rolling suitcase we can help you carry it to your room 🙂
– biodegradable shampoo and personal products please
– a sense of fun, curiosity and a smile on your face
– we provide towels, however; if you wanted to bring your own, I would suggest a travel size quick-dry towel
** the eco lodge does not have a garbage service. please do not bring things in packaging that will create garbage because the owner has to drive the recycling and any garbage an hour away. plus we encourage minimizing waste whenever possible. Thank you! **
HOW TO GET HERE (flight and airport shuttle not included):
– Book a flight to San Jose airport (SJO). You may need to fly in the day beofre depending on the timing of the shuttle
– If you need to stay overnight, I recommend staying in the Alajuela area, very close to the airport and a nicer area of San Jose. I like Hostel Cala. The owners are really nice, there is breakfast and wifi included and it is really safe and clean. They also have private rooms available. It’s not fancy, so if you want something else there is lots of choice in that area.
– SHUTTLE: you will need to arrange you airport shuttle to Dominical ahead of time (you have to book it before you leave Canada). I recommend doing it as early as you can since it can get busy. I like using Monkey Ride and Easy Ride. See which pick up times are available before booking the flight if you are hoping to do it all on the same day. The drive is about 3 to 3.5 hours so I believe the last shuttle leaves around 3:30pm and you will have to make sure there is space. If you need help with figuring this out, let me know 🙂
PRICING BY ACCOMMODATION TYPE (accommodation description is in the ‘what is included’ section):
**There is an EARLYBIRD discount of $150 if you reserve by Dec 1st, 2019!!**
BUNKHOUSE $1590 USD per person
MANGO HOUSE (2 rooms) $1650 USD per person
GLAMPING $1750 USD per person
CABINS $1875 USD per person – Double Occupancy
Should you choose to stay at the ecolodge for any additional nights before or after the retreat, the price will depend on the accommodation type and the meals will be purchased individually.
TO RESERVE AND JOIN THE ADVENTURE!
Please e-mail Lauren at [email protected] if you would like to reserve or ask any questions 🙂 I am also more than happy to have a phone call with you to go over any details!
A $500 deposit is required to hold your space. The remainder is due by Sunday, Jan 12. Payment can be made through e-transfer for Canadian residents, or via Paypal for other residents.
**There is an EARLYBIRD discount of $150 if you reserve by Dec 1st, 2019!!**
Thank you so much for reading and I really hope that you can jon me at this beautiful slice of paradise in the Costa Rican jungle. Pura vida!
613-883-3467 (if you are not a canadian resident, please use whatsapp)
FB: Food with Lauren